Saturday, November 13, 2010

Another One Bites the Dust...

Soooo I guess it is time to finally tell my little story of the week! I had a bit of a situation on Tuesday night, that may or may not (but mostly may) have led to the end of my life. I'll start at the beginning:

I decided to go running for the first time in a week or so and as usual, I went by myself. It was dark and late, so I just decided to run at the track that is on campus. I borrowed Janet's ipod and went on my way. I had run about a mile and a quarter before I started feeling the itchies. I kept going until it started REALLY BAD. My feet felt like they were going numb too so I knew something was up. I started walking home (as fast as I could with numb feet) and things got a little crazy! I would open my eyes and couldn't see for a few seconds and then my whole face started to feel numb and puffy and it was no bueno. I was limping and struggling across the street (almost got hit by the way with a car that didn't have their headlights on....ELCIO!) and barely made it to my apartment. My body was telling me to just stop and lay down, but I knew that if I did I would not be seen until the next day and I would die.

I burst into my apartment after struggling with my keys for what felt like forever! And I saw my roommate in the kitchen. I immediately collapsed on the floor and she freaked out. I told her to go into my room and grab my Benadryl (I don't know how she understood with my tongue so swollen). I crawled up through the hall and took it with some water. I sat there and tried to assess myself and how I was doing and everything and then finally figured I needed to tell Meagan to call 911. She called them and I moved myself into the bathroom to prop my legs up on the toilet because I remembered shock positioning haha I kept blacking out but trying to calm myself because I kind of knew what was going on and that the drugs would go into effect in twenty minutes or so. The EMT's came in and asked my all sorts of questions... I couldn't tell you everything they said or how I answered, but from what everyone is telling me, I was hardly coherent and my speech was extremely slurred. After what felt like ten minutes (but I guess it was about forty), the made me walk to my room and lay on my bed. I was shaking like crazy, but starting to feel a lot better. Cameron was there so I asked him to call Webb and give me a blessing. After that (and much persuasion from the EMT's, Sharon Jones, and Janet) I decided that a trip to the ER could not hurt anything.

I got up out of bed, changed my underwear (thinking I was being SO hilarious at the time because of all the jokes people make about that), and went outside to Cameron's car. We drove over to the ER and went and checked in with the receptionist. After thirty years, they let us into the back and a nurse took my vitals and then sent me back out. Then came back and put me into a room in the back. Let me just say the ER was hoppin that night! As we sat though the symptoms started to go down (except my swollen feet). By the time the doctor came in (wearing cargo pants nonetheless) and asked me more questions and checked my vitals, he seemed super rushed. We talked for maybe five minutes then he left. The nurse came in and gave me some Claritin and Pepsid. Then we had to wait for another twenty minutes to make sure I did not react badly to it, then we left.

I felt like a crazy person. Stuff like that never happens to me! I am the freakin healthiest person in my family! If this happens to me, what will happen to them? haha you know me, all dramatic and whatnot. I was thinking about things that could have led to it and I honestly have no clue. I had had a coconut cookie thing about an hour and a half before I wen running... but other than that... I'm thinking it may have something to do with my period because I started while I was at the hospital. AND the reason I had Benadryl in the first place is because almost exactly a month ago I was crazy itchy and my mouth was swollen then too... I am just guessing random things though, we will have to just wait it out see! No worries, I'll definitely keep you posted! I am just lucky to be alive :)

No comments:

Post a Comment